Monday, April 7, 2014

Terremotos!!!

There have been lots of earthquakes these past weeks. The big one was in Antofogosta, which is very far away from me.  I didn't even feel it.  We found out about it the next day. But there've been lots of other earthquakes in Chile this past week. One morning I woke up and everything was moving.... that was kind of a weird feeling. I said "Elder..." and my companion said "I'm awake," and then everything stopped moving and it was over.

Then one night a little before 11:30 the earth shook again. It was the biggest earthquake I've felt yet and everything in the house was shaking.... The worst part was that women and children in the neighborhood started screaming. That was a little creepy. I mean, it really wasn't that big. But, after what happened in Antofogasta, I think we all thought it was going to be a lot worse. The epicenter was about 45 minutes away from Los Andes in Quillota. 

It reminded me of a mormon message by Russell M. Nelson. I had always thought I would freak out if there was an earthquake... but I noticed that while other people were screaming, I was actually really calm. I'm sure it has to do with my faith and hope that everything is going to be okay, thanks to my knowledge of the gospel. 


I guess the big news is that we had changes today. Elder Ortiz went back to Santiago, and I'll be with Elder Florez (Colombia) for the day. I'm staying here in Los Andes! This will be my fourth transfer in this ward, which will be six months. I think it's likely I'll end my mission here.... since I have 10 weeks left. Tomorrow we'll be going to Santiago to pick up our new trainees, and I'll be district leader for the first time.  

General Conference was really great this weekend. I really enjoyed it and it was very spiritually uplifting. 

I have 10 weeks left now, and mom and dad will be with me here in Chile. I'm getting excited, and at the same time, sad. 

Que Dios los bendiga

Elder Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment