Monday, April 14, 2014

Semana Santa

On Monday night I worked with Elder Florez and we stayed in his house. Then Tuesday morning we went to Santiago. We ate in a Columbian restaurant. It was a little expensive.... Elder Florez didn't mention that beforehand. At least it was good food.

Then we went to the office and met my new trainee. His name is Elder Vizcarra. He is from Lima, Peru and has been living in Chile for 4 years, in Iquique. He is my third companion from Lima...
Since this week we will be celebrating the atonement and resurrection of Christ, I wanted to share my testimony of Him. As I've spent almost two years away from home preaching His gospel, I feel I have come to know Him. I have felt the Holy Ghost testify of Him and of His divine mission. I feel sure of His reality because of the things I've felt.

For example, one night I found myself a little discouraged, stressed out, and I would even say a little depressed. I couldn't sleep well that night. I sat at my desk pondering about a lot of things. As I was reflecting, I received a spiritual prompting. It was like hearing a voice that said "Los que me buscan me hallarĂ¡n," which I translate to mean "Those who seek me shall find me."
This phrase had nothing to do with anything I was thinking about. It simply dropped into my mind and heart. "Plop". I then felt a desire to get on my knees and pray. I asked my Father in Heaven to be close to me and strengthen me.

That night, I sought the Lord, at His invitation, and I found Him, as I'm sure that anyone can. I felt peace in my heart. I knew that He truly lives and is working in our midst. Even though we can never know what the future holds, I know that everything will turn out alright.
God is too wise to let us learn everything at once. (I think in our imperfection, we'd be condemning ourselves.) He lets us learn line upon line, precept upon precept. We progress in our knowledge and testimony until our faith turns into perfect knowledge.

However, if we don't seek Him, it will be hard to find Him. I like Nephi's simple but profound question to Laman and Lemuel: "Have ye inquired of the Lord?" They hadn't, they never did, and they never would receive the blessed heaven sent knowledge that Nephi received.
I have found peace, hope, and security for my life through Him. I know He lives, and I know He suffered our every sin and pain, and for that reason He knows how best to help us so that everything turns out well. Time after time, He has shown me that He is there for me when there is no one else to help me. I cannot deny that that help and support is heaven sent. I have felt His love.

I encourage you to seek Him, I echo the words of Moroni: "And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen." 
May we all receive the blessings that come from His atonement and resurrection, and always remember Him.

Elder Joseph Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment