Monday, September 17, 2012

What a week it has been! Sometimes when I wake up freezing in the morning to the sound of wild dogs barking like mad, I look out my window, which is barred, and I ask myself, "where in the world am I?," at which point I remember I am in Chile. It's so weird to think that a little less than a week ago, I was sweating in the heat of summer in Utah. We've actually worn jackets quite a bit this last week, because it has gotten pretty cold the past few days. When we wake up, we pray on top of our beds, underneath three thick blankets and a sheet, and then roll out of bed and immediately start exercising in the hopes that we will warm up a little bit. The good thing about this mission is that we don't have to wake up until 7:30... we go to bed at 11:30 though. It's because a lot of people work later, so our best proselyting time is between like 5-10.

So far I like it. I hardly understand anything people say to me, but other than that, it's great. They say I'll be able to understand them better in like two weeks. I really hope so haha. 

September 18th is Independence Day... really the only big holiday here. Bigger than Christmas. And they celebrate it all week long. I have seen more red, white, and blue in the past couple of days than I think I have ever seen in my life. It's bigger than the 4th of July, I'm telling you. The Chilean flag is everywhere. I have also seen and will see more drunks than I've ever seen before. It's always fun when we're talking to someone and a drunk comes up to me and tries to communicate with me. It's hard enough for me to understand these people when they're sober... We're not exactly sure what we'll be able to do tomorrow, as everyone will either be drunk or partying (or both) all day long... but it will be a normal day for us. A lot of our investigators are out of town with the holiday. There was a huge stake activity on Saturday celebrating the 18th and there will be a huge ward party this Saturday.
 
Our ward is Renca Dos. Oh, by the way, I'm serving in Renca right now. I can't exactly tell you where that is... because I'm really not sure... I just know I'm to the north of Santiago. Let's just say it's a very good thing Elder Kelson knows this area. If I was in charge, we would probably accidentally be halfway to Buenos Aires by now. Oh, by the way, my trainer is Elder Kelson. We're hoping after the holiday we can have a little more success, when people might actually be home so we can teach. 

We live with two other elders, Elder Villagran (de Guatemala), y Elder Shelley. 

We eat a huge lunch in members homes almost every day. So far I've had some good food and some food I've just choked down out of politeness. We've had some good empenadas, completos, choripan(?), and something we just refer to as "Jackie Chan." 

A lot of times we talk to people about how when Christ organized his church it had a prophet, 12 Apostles, Christ at the head, and His authority (priesthood). We explain when they died, it was lost. They agree with us that the true church needs all these things, and that baptism is not valid without the authority. Then we tell them all of these things have been restored but when we ask if we can teach more, they say they already have a church. It gets a little frustrating some times. 

On a funny note, I contacted a Pastor EvangĂ©lico and his wife the other night on our way home...they were not interested. I also knocked a door wherein lived a bunch of nuns. They were also not interested. 

It's so great to be out here. It really is a great feeling. I may not be able to communicate very well with these people, but I'm having a good time and learning to rely on the Lord. 

I hope you are all doing well in the states. I'm getting more comfortable here everyday. I do have some blisters, and my feet hurt for several days, but it's better now.

Elder Garrett

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment